Sunday, August 01, 2004

A few words on the Medical College Admissions Test

I'd like to take this opportunity to say I'm sorry to all 4 or 5 of you for the reccent lack of posts. You see, I've been busy. Blogging, my friends, as you may or may not know, takes up a lot of time. And right now, time is precious. Time is money. Time is my future.

I am taking the MCAT (Medical College Admissons Test) two weeks from yesterday, on Saturday, August 14th. Incidentally, immediately afterwards I'm flying this coop, which I am very excited about, but more on that in another post (maybe). The MCAT is in the same family as the Iowa Basics, the SAT, and the ACT in that it is a standardized test. But believe me when I say that the MCAT is merely a distant, mutant, hairy, ripped, tatooed, and heavily pierced cousin of the SAT or ACT. I mean, to begin with, its a fucking 8 HOUR TEST. I didn't study at all for the SAT. I didn't take practice tests. I'm taking an MCAT prep class through Kaplan (6 hours a week in the classroom). I've spent the last 3 saturdays taking FULL-LENGTH practice exams, 8am to 4pm. I didn't take a class for the SAT. Most people, in fact, don't. And most people do fine. I did fine. I got into a good school. But this test, that I'm taking in two weeks, scares the living shit out of me. This test does not just determine the next 4 years of my life, it may determine the REST of my life. You see, if you do mediocre on the SAT, you'll still go to college. But if you do mediocre on the MCAT, chances are you won't be a doctor. Sure, you can take ONCE more if you need to improve. But you make it much easier on yourself if you step up to the plate and hit a homerun on the first pitch.

So I've been studying. A lot. I mean, I was studying before, but not like now. And I'm making progress. I scored a 23 on my original diagnostic test, a 26 on my first full-lenght practice test, a 29 on my second, and a 31 yesterday on my 3rd. I've got one more practice test for sure, and maybe another. I can still do better. The physical sciences section just keeps kicking my ass. But I'm gonna do better. But if so, I can't spend my time blogging. I guess this type of test is good in that it weeds out the people who don't really want to be doctors. Those people don't study enough, and no matter how smart they are they get railed. I'm serious. I've heard of people running out the test room, in the middle of the $90 test, crying. I want to be a doctor, so I'm working hard. Like I said, this isn't just another physics or biology test. And I'm going to do well.

By the way, the average score of people who got in last year was a 30. My GPA isn't gonna get me in, thats for sure, so this test is even more significant in my case.

I can't wait until this shit is over. My job has been old for a month. Not having anyone to hang out consistently on random weeknights, much less weekends, has gotten rottenly old. This apartment complex has gotten old. This studying couldn't be older. And I'm sick of completely sacrificing my friday nights and saturdays to a god that takes the form of a test booklet and scantron answer grid. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel. All I need to do now is finish strong. I better get back to studying.



3 Comments:

At August 5, 2004 at 2:29 PM, Blogger Meera said...

All The Best! :)

 
At August 6, 2004 at 12:23 AM, Blogger mindovermatter said...

Wow, thank you so much!

 
At August 7, 2004 at 2:19 AM, Blogger scribbs said...

i agree, good luck. but, standardized tests are retarded. and the only thing more retarded than standardized tests are classes to learn how to take standardized tests. mind you, im not saying you are retarded for taking a class, im sure i would be doing the same thing if i were in your shoes, but, the fact that, as you say, it is so important that a class to learn how to take one test is necessary, is, i think, retarded. The point is, standardized tests tell people nothing meaningful or useful. thats my story and im sticking to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home