Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Ramblings

So I have 17 minutes till my bus comes and I can leave "work." A window to blog. And ramble.

Being pre-med is like being in the minor leagues. I mean, a good majority of pre-meds are pre-meds even when they enter middle school--rookie league. Thats where you go immediately after you get drafted. Rookie teams play in podunk towns like my own-Great Falls, MT, home of the Great Falls White Sox, formerly the Great Falls Dodgers. I know, not exactly the most creative nicknames...but it saves money on equipment--hand-me-downs for the big boys. Hey, and Pedro Martinez stared his pro career in none other than G-Funk. Wow, I'm rambling within a ramble. Ok. High school: Single-A ball...take the advanced sciences, prepare yourself for Double A ball in college, where you MAJOR in a science (most of the time) and take the so-called "pre-med" classes. Somewhere along the line in college those that don't drop out and choose to take the MCAT have made it to Triple-A. MJ didn't even make it past the double-A Birmingham Barons. The actual test is that game when the big-league scouts are watching. The scary thing is that, just like in baseball, a large portion of those even make it as far as taking the test will NEVER grace the halls of any medical school. They won't get in, or they will choose an alternate route, like grad school (which is exponentially easier to get into). Its interesting. I will sit in the crowded class room a week from saturday knowing that probably only about half (if that) of the people in there will ever have an M.D. after their name. And there's a chance I won't be in that half. I really don't want to get to triple A only to never taste The Show. Crash Davis made it. Here's his classic account:

"Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once -- the 21 greatest days of my life. You know, you never handle your luggage in the show, somebody else carries your bags. It was great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains." Now, thats what I'm talking about. Bull Durham is a great flick, by the way.

There is nothing like having your back against the wall (figuratively) as a source of motivation. I mean, my back is against the wall of being a career minor leaguer. I want to make it to The Show! But I have heart, too. Its not just that my back is against the wall. And its not just that I am afraid of the consequences of failing. I want to succeed. I want to go to medical school, just like Rudy wanted to play for Notre Dame (Don't you love the sports movie analogies?), so I'm studying my ass off. I'm even kinda impressing myself.

USA hoops beat Germany today, on an Allen Iverson buzzer beater, and celebrated like they had just conquered the world. Only problem is Germany didn't even QUALIFY for the Olympics. I guess a win is a win, though. And a win is definately better than a 17 point loss to ITALY, FOR GOD SAKE. Whatever. I agree with the Sports Guy in that the team wasn't very inteligently picked (there's a link to his website on the sidebar...My Mac doesn't have a handy little link button for some reason, and I'm too lazy to manually do it). On the other hand, I kind of like how we've suddenly become the underdog. Watching the 1992 dream team, as well as subsequent USA teams walk all over the competition was kind of boring. Either way, I PREDICT A GOLD MEDAL. I have a feeling.

One of the most ironic things that I see everyday is hospital employees standing outside during their breaks, smoking. I wonder if they're thinking, "Damn, this place kinda gets old as an employee...(puff) Maybe I should see what its like to be a patient! (puff)."

I encourage you all to listen to more country music. I'm not gonna argue with you about it. If you choose not to listen to this invaluable piece of advice, your loss.

This is my 20th post. Yee-haw! Slooperdong! Electric boogaloo! Wowee Wow! Oh yeah! Uh huh! Yipee! Super-duper! Boo-yeah, Grandma! Butta! And my favorite, Yahtzee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home